DIY Coffee Table

Sunday, November 23, 2014






I have this slight obsession with copper everything lately and really wanted to get a new coffee table.  The one we previously had was an old black rectangle one with sharp corners that, for some reason, our kids loved to fall into.  So after many bruised body parts, I decided it was time for a circular coffee table.  My husband and I started brain storming on how he could build one and I found this white ikea coffee table on craigslist for $20!  I knew the table top was perfect and instantly we planned out how we could make a new base using copper piping.  My husband drew many different plans and 3D renditions of his vision.  I made him scale back ALOT and we finally agreed on this configuration (3 U-shaped legs with cross bars and then a 3rd cross bar for stability).  Our main hurdle was the need to make it extremely sturdy because well, we have two kids who are currently using coffee tables for jumping platforms.

He took the original base off, cut the piping to size and started assembling the new base. (He said soldering would discolor it at the joints so we went with super glue in all the elbows and T's.) Then he attached the new copper base to the table top and that was it!  The whole thing cost $55 and took 1 afternoon.  And I seriously love how it turned out!  I immediately started thinking of what else I could do with copper pipping and I'm pretty sure a curtain rod or doll clothes stand DIY post will be happening very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design