Venice, Italy

Wednesday, December 3, 2014



























 















Venice, Italy.  This is my last post on our amazing trip to Europe.  It took me awhile I know to get this one done, about 3 months to be exact... I had put this off for awhile because well it was intimidating.  Venice was by far my most favorite location.  It has it's up and it's downs but for the architecture, the way of life for Venetians, and for the beauty Venice was hands down simply stunning.  The set backs for me were our hotel and the fact that I nearing the end and at this point really missing my kids!  Like really missing them... not sleeping, and feeling sick to my stomach missing them.  BUT... lets talk about how wonderful this city is. 

The picture above is the airport, I mean.. were off to a good start right!  We got in after dark and somehow found our way over 5 bridges and down many tiny streets to our hotel which was located in the heart of Venice.  We decided when booking our time that this was one of the most important aspects because we only had 2 days there and we wanted to spend as much time enjoying the city and less time traveling in to it.  So we booked a tiny room and can I just say it was pretty terrible.  The outside looked promising when we arrived.  The restraunt had a ton of people, the hotel was sold out with people on waiting lists, and I guess really we were just happy to have a room and happy to put our luggage down and go get dinner!  So we put our luggage down, stripped the creapy hotel comforter off, opened the window because well the smells outside were better than the smells inside and headed out with the intention of spending little time there.  We got dinner at 11pm and it was soo amazing!  At first this city did not fell real.  Like it was out of a movie or really like Vegas.  But in the morning, the sun came up, we quickly got ready and headed out for some cappocinios. 

Walking the streets there was so much character.  Seeing houses, buildings, and monuments on these islands was really pretty incredible.  Just the fact alone that the only way to get around is by boat or gondola is something out of a fairy tail.  We saw Marco Polos old house and others that I can't remember... but I do remember being surprised at how the traffic flowed, and how peaceful it was compared to rush hour anywhere else in the world!  I was completely sold on this idea when we rode the gondola for the first time.  Magical experience that I will never forget.  The food was so delicious and there were shops everywhere.  Some of the downfalls about Venice was how many people were there, and how many touristy shops were there.  But if you can look past that, and get lost in the streets where the locals are, I swear you will never want to leave!  So colorful, so alive, and such history.  It still blows my mind how these houses stay together.  To have water surrounding your house at all times and even coming into your front door just doesn't seem stable.  And I know it is sinking but to see that it has survived thus far is pretty incredible. 

All in all, I would do this city again and again.  We were thankful that we did choose a hotel close to San Marco square and that we didn't have to get a boat unless we wanted to.  We saw the entire city in 2 short days and if we ever were so lucky to go back there I would stay in our little smelly hotel again if it came down to location.  The last day, I excitedly packed up, and was ready to get on that 16 hour plane flight home to see Lach and Rhone!  We rented a car in Venice and started our drive to Bologna where I was flying out of.  That car ride alone would be another great post but instead I'll leave you with a few more pictures.    





 Going to pick up Daddy 1 week later... kids were too excited to sleep


// THANK YOU AGAIN to my amazing parents who took such great care of our kids!!  They had a blast and you loved them immensely.  It really does mean the world to me, and I am so grateful KC and I were able to take this trip and able to have so many great memories of our time in Europe. //  
- Let do it again next year :)  hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design