Preparation
Thursday, July 18, 2013
So as I'm typing this my house is eerily quiet, peaceful, and the biggest worry I had tonight was this post. Today we drove to meet up with my parents and to hand over the kids and Wabash. This day has been on my mind for about 3 months. This is the first time we have ever left Lachlyn with someone over night. Rhone has stayed the night with grandparents before, but never for 3 days! Needless to say I've been a wreck. Emotionally drained and just tired from packing. Good thing it's vacation time right! So KC and I are headed to our old stomping ground in Chicago, IL. It's been over 5 years since we moved away and I am super excited to see old friends and the city again. Chicago is so special to the both of us, and to make it even more special we are going to see Pearl Jam play at Wrigley field. If you know KC, you know that Pearl Jam is his all time favorite band and has been stocking them for over 15 years. Just so happens the Chicago Cubs are his favorite baseball team, so when they got paired together it was a dream come true and truly a once in lifetime event. So we got tickets months ago, and I have been preparing mentally ever since. Thankfully my prayer were answered and Lachlyn as of a couple weeks ago is sleeping through the night (mainly because I have officially weened her off the breast... still sad about that one, but after 13 months, it was time) and she also isn't sick or teething. So... I'm hoping that all goes well.
I have never been a fan of leaving our kids to do anything really. Before our new life here in Washington, I worked full time, so literally every moment outside of work I wanted to spend with the kids. So we decided that we would take vacations and still get out and do things all the time, but we would do them with the kids. It worked for us. So when I made the decision to take a year off of work and stay home, the urgency of spending every minute with them, became more relaxed and because of that KC and I have gone on more dates, and now our first trip away. In my crazy mama fashion, I made myself feel better about the situation by preparing my parents with a 3 page novel on our day to day schedule, followed with all other important info they would ever need. Because they will be driving them across the border, we had to get a letter giving permission and have it notarized, along with passports, health cards, the list goes on and on. I labeled everything, organized everything per kid and talked the trip up to Rhone like he was going to Disneyland. And after all that prep work, I still managed to forget a key item! ugh
The reality is, my parents are smart. They've had 4 kids. They have 7 grand kids, they know what they're doing. I trust them over anyone to handle and take care of my little angels. But for me, it is nice to know that if they need any info, it is readily available. I want give a huge -Thank You- to them and hopefully you all have a great time and at the end of this weekend, I hope they are willing to do it again.
You can of course count on me taking a ton of pictures while were there, and I will try to post as soon as we get settled back in here. My goal is to try to limit the tears, limit my anxiety, and try not to call my parents every hour for an update. So here's to time alone for KC and I and to getting away to a relaxing and fun weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





You and I are so alike! I say it all the time! Enjoy yourselves! It is very healthy to be together as a couple! The kids are at perfect ages.
ReplyDeletehahaha I love this post! We haven't left our little one overnight yet but we are contemplating a one-night get away before the end of summer and I am soooo nervous. The novel-style-itinerary and labeled ziplock bags are totalllllyyy right up my alley. Looks like your Chicago trip was totally worth any of the worry :) Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog, your family is just lovely :)! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThanks Tisse! It's so hard leaving them for the first time, but a one-night getaway is a great first step. And you know what my kids had a blast and wanted to go back the next day :)xoxo
Delete